- Ever Hear a BASIS Schools Sales Pitch?
- A Parent Encounters a BASIS Schools Inc. Charter School
- A BASIS Schools Horror Story
- Best high schools in America? Or worst journalism in America?
- “Judge us by our results”
What little of relevance that we can infer from the puff piece is that a group of BASIS Chandler charter school 15-year-olds took the PISA test and their average scores were high higher even than some entire nations. What is not reported and what is borderline impossible to determine is how many students took the PISA at BASIS Chandler. Well, more than an hour's digging through files at the Arizona Department of Education finally produces some numbers:
BASIS Chandler charter school enrolled
- 500 students in Grades K - 8, and
- 195 students in Grades 9 - 12.
So, an honest headline for the editors of East Valley Tribune would read something like this: "Two Dozen Students Get Good Scores on a Test." And next week's headline, should anyone wish to do a follow-up article, could carry the headline: "50 Students at Chandler High School Outscore Two Dozen Students at BASIS Chandler Charter School."
Gene V Glass
Arizona State University
National Education Policy Center
University of Colorado Boulder
The opinions expressed here are those of the authors and do not represent the official position of NEPC, Arizona State University, nor the University of Colorado Boulder.