What have charter schools taught the true public school sector?
- You can raise test scores by discouraging poor or special needs kids from enrolling;
- You can raise test scores by pushing out kids who do poorly on tests;
- You can make yourself look desirable by lying about "waiting lists";
- You can manage your public image through marketing & public relations;
- You can run an economically efficient school by hiring inexperienced, uncertified teachers.
But the charter school movement hasn't shown anyone how to run a better school.
Gene V Glass
Arizona State University
National Education Policy Center
University of Colorado Boulder
The opinions expressed here are those of the authors and do not represent the official position of NEPC, Arizona State University, nor the University of Colorado Boulder.